Wednesday, January 9, 2013

2 Months Old!

I can't even believe that my little kiddos turned 2 months old on December 28th! Things are starting to get into a routine now, so I find that I have a little bit of time to myself. Key word - a LITTLE bit! Haha! My life is definitely BUSY but it hasn't really been overwhelming just yet. I'm honestly loving being at home with Luke and Addie and it's so fun watching them grow.


At their two month appointment, Addie weighed 8 pounds 9 ounces and she was 21.75 inches long. She is definitely skinny and long, just like her dad!! 


Luke weighed 7 pounds 4 ounces and was 19.75 inches long. He is still much smaller than Addie, but he is filling the gap!  


Luke and Addie in their pajamas. You can tell that Addie is longer than Luke, but he is catching up!

I am finally starting to get into a routine with the babes. It's obviously not always perfect, but I feel like I'm starting to figure things out a bit! I read a book called Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins, and I have learned a few really helpful things! Typically, the babes wake up in the morning around 7:30 and they eat and play. After that, they fall asleep around 9:00 or 9:30 and nap for awhile. Luke is a short napper- and only naps between 30 minutes to 2 hours. Addie is a long napper and typically naps between 2 - 3 1/2 hours! Usually she doesn't wake up again until noon! One time she took a 5 hour nap - crazy! Meanwhile, Luke usually has woken up, fed, played, and then is back asleep again by the time Addie wakes up! The afternoon and evening are a bit more unpredictable, but they usually will take two shorter naps or one long nap. They then go to bed around 8:00 - 9:30 depending on when the last nap was. During the night, they will first sleep for a 5 or so hour stretch and then after that, they wake up every 3 hours. Rich and I both take a baby at night, so really I am only waking up twice - maybe three times in the night. I'm feeling pretty rested most of the time!

Little tidbits on each child:

Addie LOVES her kick time. Whenever she is awake and not feeding she just lays on the floor and kicks around for about 45 minutes. It's pretty cute! She doesn't always need someone their watching her, so I am able to cook dinner or feed Luke while she kicks!  Addie is usually a really happy baby, but if she doesn't get enough sleep, she gets cranky! I've learned that letting her sleep for hours and hours in a day doesn't keep her from sleeping at night - it actually helps her! Last Sunday Rich and I couldn't get Addie to take a nap. She didn't sleep from 2:00 PM - 10:00 PM and she was sooooo cranky! I ended up having to sleep with her in our bed - so naps are a MUST for her! 

Luke is a really happy baby too. He is also a short napper, and I used to call him "The baby who never sleeps!" It seemed like he really didn't start taking good naps until the last week. The thing is, when he doesn't sleep he doesn't get cranky like Addie does. I just think that he needs less sleep than her. He has always been a really great eater and quite stubborn about his food too. He LOVES to nurse, but we supplement with formula and he has to be able to take a bottle. Sometimes when the temperature of the formula isn't quite right or something else is bothering him, he has a hard time taking the bottle. He always eventually takes it and eats quite a bit for his little body size! Lately, I have noticed that he isn't as ravenous as he used to be, but he is still a great eater! Luke isn't as active during his "kick time" as Addie is, but he still moves around quite a bit. He loves sleeping in his crib and loves to nap with his white noise maker. He is also really observant, and is content just looking around at all of the lights in the room.

I've learned that my babes are really good babies if their needs are met! If they have enough food and sleep, they really are a dream! They are content being by themselves, which is so important with two babies! I'd say that the hardest time of the day is when they both want to feed at the same time. It makes things hard when one baby won't take the bottle (usually Luke!) so I find myself trying to wrestle with both babes. Even though the twin books that I've read recommend waking one baby up when the other wakes up, right now I just don't prefer it. I've tried that once and Addie is such a sleeper that she won't wake up to feed and then she is cranky with her lost sleep. Also, I prefer feeding the babes one at a time most of the time because I get to have my one on one time with each babe. However, I still like to feed them at the same time once or twice a day because it is so much faster! 


Usually my goal for each day is to take care of the babies, make dinner and keep the house clean. Usually I try to fit in another task of the day or take the babes out, but it doesn't always happen. It really is such a busy day keeping up with them, and I am really content doing it! They are both smiling now and it is just the cutest thing! 


2 comments:

  1. Jenny, they are so cute. I'm glad that you're having fun being home with them. Being a mom is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update! It takes time to get away and write!!

    ReplyDelete